I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the
land of slavery.
These are the commandments the LORD proclaimed in a loud voice to
your whole assembly there on the mountain from out of the fire,
the cloud and the deep darkness; and he added nothing more. Then
he wrote them on two stone tablets and gave them to me.
- "You shall have no other gods before me."
- "You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything
in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below.
You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD
your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of
the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate
me, but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love
me and keep my commandments."
- "You shall not misuse the name of the LORD your God, for the LORD
will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name."
- "Observe the Sabbath day by keeping it holy, as the LORD your God
has commanded you. Six days you shall labor and do all your work,
but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God. On it you
shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor
your manservant or maidservant, nor your ox, your donkey or any of
your animals, nor the alien within your gates, so that your
manservant and maidservant may rest, as you do. Remember that you
were slaves in Egypt and that the LORD your God brought you out of
there with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm. Therefore the
LORD your God has commanded you to observe the Sabbath day."
- "Honor your father and your mother, as the LORD your God has
commanded you, so that you may live long and that it may go well
with you in the land the LORD your God is giving you."
- "You shall not murder."
- "You shall not commit adultery."
- "You shall not steal."
- "You shall not give false testimony against your
- "You shall not covet your neighbor's wife. You shall not set your
desire on your neighbor's house or land, his manservant or
maidservant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your